CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Clearing Sales and Life

Welcome to Sunday!
Last Saturday I went to a clearing sale and pick up a few goodies. The person who was selling their stuff at the sale was down sizing her home, and selling the farm and excess furniture etc. I saw the old lady who was pottering around, and has happy as Larry. The clearing sale I went to yesterday was a deceased estate. For me this wasn't really an issue until i got there. It was in quite a small town not all that far away from me. The person who had died was well in to his or her 90's I would guess, looking at the things that were for sale. The moth ball smell was everywhere. There were books, lots of medical books, some from the 1920's. There were hundreds of lots to be sold. Most were small lots with things like, a group of 2 table cloths, 3 shawls, 6 hats, bed, etc. I really went there looking for furniture for our farm house, there wasn't much of that, but more personal stuff. Eye glasses, like those really old tiny round ones. Long gloves, purses the list goes on.
Whilst I was looking through all this stuff, I felt strange, like I was doing something wrong. Like spying in to someones life.
This made me think, Is this what life comes to when you die? A clearing sale to get rid of all the stuff that your kids don't want?
After mentioning this to my husband he laughed, and said, "Fuck Cheryl, the sale would be for 2 weeks in our home and that would only be your shoes!!" Yep very funny but he didn't get my point. These things had a story to tell, such as I looked in a purse and there was a beautiful lace hanky in there and receipts to a show. OMG, If these things could talk.
Something I have thought of in the past and came back to me at the sale was, Have I left my mark on the world???
I mean I haven't discovered anything life changing :(
I haven't invented anything :(
I haven't done anything to make history :(
But I am bring up the next generation :)
I am a nice person :)
I love life :)
I could always become the next supermodel!.................LOL.................joke.
I do have my name on the papers for a sheep station that we own :) ( when be brought it we got a list of past owners going back to 1900)
So is the end of your life just one bit clearing sale?
Makes you think huh?

Cheryl xx

PS: Mind you it was so bloody hot that the flies were in your eyeballs looking for a drink, I kid you not, so I didnt hang around. So I didnt bid on anything but I did leave with a heavy heart though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe theres a new series of australias next top model coming up... you should enter ;)

you'd have a better chance than meeee

Cheryl said...

LMAO Donna, Yep I can see me 38yo in line with all the 16yos. Yep I would have a great chance..LOL
Cheryl :)

Sienna said...

What a thought provoking post Cheryl. Of course you have left your mark on the world. You are someones mother, someones wife, someones friend. I don't think we all have to be Einsteins or Rembrandts to be remembered by those who loved us. How eerie about the show stubs in the purse...I would have had a FEILD DAY there. I would have sold it all on Ebay!! All those material possessions are obviously not precious to the lady's family, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. I'm sure they had many special things to remember her by. I believe in reincarnation, so to be, all of those things were just past memories... She has moved on into a new life now, onto another adventure. Death isn't sad, it's just another part of life. We will all die at some point. I don't think we realize that what is most precious to us (materially) isn't as precious to others. My best friend recently was asked what she wanted to inherit from her Mother... She told me. The stamp collection was gone, the crystal had gone, her antiques were gone. All that was left were her plate collection. My friend told her that she would take her memories, as she just didn't have room for her Mum's plates. One mans trash is another mans treasure I guess... and vice versa.

Nona said...

Perhaps the goal should be to leave no mark at all on the world. Perhaps it's marked enough by us already for the worse.

Perhaps, instead of accumulating stuff that is destined for the garbage heap, we should focus on the non-tangible things you have mentioned, "I am bring up the next generation :), I am a nice person :), I love life :). These are among the only things that really matter.

Thanks for dropping by to visit. Good luck in the challenge!!!