CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 16, 2007

Treadmill


Welcome to Friday!

I had a bit of a sook to Mr C in the wee hours of this morning,(He is still doing night shift in Melb and finishes between 2 + 3.30am) about how I want a treadmill. To which he replied, go and have a look at some. Yep been there done that. I have my eye on one it is $1600. I don't really know anything about them and would really appreciate any advice that anyone has on the matter. I wouldn't want to spend any more than this or else in time it might come an expensive dust collector. I hope not but im a road runner and prefer this, but its get so hot here. Today is 37deg, and its nothing for it to get in the 40's. Way too hot to run outdoors.
I find running on the tready much kinder on my knees.
I still have a few thought provoking subjects I want to blog about, I think I will start this next week.
I am currently reading a book called: Look me in the eye, by John Elder Robinson.
John had Aspergers syndrome, a mild form of Autism. As im sure my readers know by now that my son has high functioning Autism, not Aspergers. I can see so many similarities between this man and my son. This is a very funny book. So much I can relate too, such as random things being said. I would say to my boy Tom, "Nice day today huh?," To which he would answer, "Remember when we lived in Tassie, You know my teacher Mrs......, She has nice hair" Now where would that fit in the convo?? He says stuff like that all the time. Like when he was told he needed skin grafts for his recent burn, he said..Hmm ok, well what time will you cut off my arm, can I play playstation first? This was after he was explained what was going to happen. Its like he doesnt listen to others, only me. He smiles and looks at the other person and is always polite but has no idea what they said. So often I have repeat and explain it all to him. He finds it hard to make friends because they think he is odd, and that he is, he knows but doesn't give a shit. He is a very kind and caring boy. When he went on his school camp a few weeks back he took a photo of the local Target in Bendigo and he knows I love Target!! Most people this this is odd, but this was his way of saying I was thinking of you Mum. Some of the most brilliant people in the world have Autism, such as Bill Gates.
Anyway I recommend this book if for nothing else but a bit of education and a bloody good laugh.
Have a great Friday!!
Cheryl :)

7 comments:

Waffles said...

How did you go with the tready? Amart all sports have them quiet reasonble, and so does sportspower. I actually bought mine from Dealsdirect.com.au, half price for $500. I love it now, but it was a dust collector for many months!!
I would only have one bit of advice tho, get one that inclines, but for around $1600 it will! I secretly want mine to shit itself so I can get one that does that..lol

Your son sounds like a lovely young man:)

Emx- have a great weekend. I will email over the weekend:)

Cheryl said...

Hey Miss Em,
Thanks for getting back to me with tready info. Im just at the looking stage, the $1600 one did everything but run for you..LOL
It will be a Xmas pressie so I still have a few weeks left. Not sure if I should wait to see if it comes on sale just after Xmas,but because I live in the bush it might not. Its at sportspower. Do you have one near you?
xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Chezza, I got a great treddy off Ebay it was only $500 but I'd say it is worth around the $1600 mark. I know you are not in a huge city, but I would always recommend Ebay first and do an advanced search (cause it is obviously a pick up only item!). You could potentially save a lot of money.

If buying retail $1600 will get you a good machine. You want it to preferrably go to 16kph and have a good incline - mine tops out at 15% which i think is good, but i could go even higher. you want a good cushioned track and easy operation on the button pushing front. Some are so complicated.

But the most important things are speed and incline. Unless you live in a small house or have babies noise isn't a big deal. Mine is a bit noisy, but I have a large house so it does't matter so much (some are like a jet fighter taking off).

Good luck, treadmills are great - you burn lots of calories as you are upright and supporting your own weight.

If you want to emulate running outdoors, simply programme it at 2.5 incline - it's that easy!

Love Kitty x

Anonymous said...

I worked with High Functioning Autistic and Asperger's children when I lived in the UK. It was a delightful experience and I learned so much about it. Most people think of 'rain man' don't they?

Your son sounds like a cherub, what a poppet to take a picture of Target for you. I would have had sweet tears over that one.

xxxx

Sienna said...

Your son sounds like an absolute delight! I can acutally hear the love in your typing. Thanks for sharing that info about him, I think it's good to learn from people first hand how autism effects their lives. Can I make a suggestion about the treadmill? Try putting in advert in the local rag. I did this, and recieved over 10 phonecalls!!

Sara said...

Hi Cheryl, I just found your blog through Kek, good reading! I have a friend with autism and she is most interesting, but challenging. She says exactly what's in her mind, and it's not always .. um.. polite. I made her a birthday dinner and she turned up with a huge box of chocolates and ate that instead.. that sort of thing. Ah well.
:)

KatieP said...

Hi Cheryl
My treadmill is a Hyper Extension Donna Aston thing that I got from K Mart for about $699.

It has an electric incline and a built in speaker where you can plug in your ipod.

Pretty basic but it does me. Only thing is that I find it harder to run on the tready than outside. Maybe because it is so BORING.
xxx